As of late I would say that Lord is doing a bit of stirring
my life. I can’t tell how major of a stirring it is but none-the-less, things are a
brewin’. This dynamic churn has no real start date nor any foreseeable end date for that matter. I
can't really put my finger on what it is, but the “why-it-is” I am gradually
understanding. The why is this: this girl has become complacent. Comfortable. Cozy, even. In her Jesus. In her day-to-day, ho-hum of a life. I
have neatly, oh-so cutely, wrapped up my faith and displayed it on some life shelf
for safe keeping. Safe keeping from what, exactly? Not sure. But it has become
apparent that this gift-wrapped faith is no good. Not right. Straight-up wrong! (This paragraph was brought to you by the hyphen.)
Not long ago, I started envisioning some small, easy changes to our family’s goings-on. (Baby steps.) I started to branch out in my reading material, going past the youth mythological fantasy books (though still reading them, just not as exclusively. I mean Camp Half-Blood is my JAM!). Then there was Jen Hatmaker, who oh so kindly confirmed a whole bunch of stuff... just great! Then there was the Engage conference at church, encouraging and preparing, coming alongside parents as they tackle the task of being the primary faith trainers of their spawn. After being divinely slapped around a bit, I had to own up to my half-hearted job of being a "faithful" Christian, which also equates to a quarter-hearted job of "faith training" my kids, my little at-home tribe. Something-s have got to give...
One thing amongst the myriad convictions--one that at first seemed insignificant, but for my family will be significant because it is kind of core to our unit--celebrations. I mean, we are a family that celebrates the big, the small, the seemingly trivial. Yet, outside of Christmas and Easter... well... we suck at celebrating Jesus. And His life's work. And His gifts to us. It is shameful, truly. We get together and do community for the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day... oh, but when was the last time we got together and "did community" with Christ as the central focus? Easter. Christmas. End scene.
I am speaking from my heart--from my family's heart. We need more Christ-centered, coming-together, celebrating in our lives. We love traditions. We love celebrations. I need very little reason to bake and I'm thinking Jesus needs to be my reason to bake more often! I know you feel me on this one! I am pledging to put as much attention and effort into celebrating the life, the gifts, and the thankfulness that Christ has brought into our lives as I do Halloween costumes! (so I guess if the Halloween costumes are subpar this year, you know things are not going well!)
My point is this: I want to be more intentional about "going and doing community." Ben and I are on the same page that one of the shifts we need to make for our family is to start celebrating more of the church calendar. We are well aware of Presidents Day, Valentine's Day, St Patricks Day, Halloween but what about Whitsunday, Corpus Christi, Holy Cross Day, Michaelmas, or Christ the King Sunday. What the what?
We want to bring the traditions home and make them a part of our family, giving our kids tangible ways to show service, thankfulness, and love to those in their little communities. For this is what Christ has called us to do, to be active in our thanksgiving. To add to that, He commands us to do this together, to offer our gifts of thanksgiving in the context of community... wait like a "party"!? Like share a meal with people!?! Get outta here... WE LOVE DOING THAT! He said, "Do this..." so I think we have to! Our family is going to do this and we are going to start with getting together, in community, and ringing in the Holy Spirit! Party for the Pentecost it is!
Mostly because I would feel guilty if I didn't say this, I will be stealing ideas from a book that I asked Ben to get me for my birthday, and people this man takes care of his lady! I haven't read the whole book (its not that kind of book) but from what I have read, I want to be this woman's BFF. I believe us to be kindred spirits-ish. The book is "A Homemade Year" by Jerusalem Jackson Greer... if you are a family that celebrates, that likes a good tradition, that loves to cook and craft, and you want to do all of these things with Jesus as your focus... get the book! The End
We want to bring the traditions home and make them a part of our family, giving our kids tangible ways to show service, thankfulness, and love to those in their little communities. For this is what Christ has called us to do, to be active in our thanksgiving. To add to that, He commands us to do this together, to offer our gifts of thanksgiving in the context of community... wait like a "party"!? Like share a meal with people!?! Get outta here... WE LOVE DOING THAT! He said, "Do this..." so I think we have to! Our family is going to do this and we are going to start with getting together, in community, and ringing in the Holy Spirit! Party for the Pentecost it is!
Mostly because I would feel guilty if I didn't say this, I will be stealing ideas from a book that I asked Ben to get me for my birthday, and people this man takes care of his lady! I haven't read the whole book (its not that kind of book) but from what I have read, I want to be this woman's BFF. I believe us to be kindred spirits-ish. The book is "A Homemade Year" by Jerusalem Jackson Greer... if you are a family that celebrates, that likes a good tradition, that loves to cook and craft, and you want to do all of these things with Jesus as your focus... get the book! The End
No comments:
Post a Comment