Just a mom and dad trying to be intentional about seeing the magics of raising four little ones.
Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Party for the Pentecost 2.0
This last Sunday we took a pause and partied the Pentecost! Just to toss this out there, it was TOTALLY WICKED! Now, Saint Lucia may be my home-girl, but Pentecost is ma' jam! Again, this year we asked people to bring dishes that represented the land from whence they hailed, a dish reminiscent of childhood memories, or simply a family favorite. Nothing needed to "go together," nothing needed to be rounded-out, no one was counting how many fruits or vegetables you had on your plate, or even if you started with dessert. I will label those "the additional Spirit fruits," for those that were in attendance! There were many nationalities and traditions all speaking the international language of FOOD! Again ma' JAM!
This year I tackled our German heritage, and attempted to replicate my Oma/Mom's rouladen and red cabbage. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!? For starters, when I phoned my mother for "the" recipes, I found out they don't exist. These women just "make them." No need to waste energy writing anything down, "just do it." This resulted in my mom searching the bowels of the World Wide Web–whilst on the phone with me, mind you–looking for something "close." It was futile. So, I ended up "just making them" by combining recipes I found online. Though there are already a couple of things I would do different for the ease of the process, both turned out JUST LIKE MOM MAKES THEM!! I may have high-fived myself.
The Pentecost cake was another story. I am about to give up on this cake. Not only did it come out of the oven with an obvious grade to it, but all the symbolism and counting of gifts and fruits and apostles is clearly beyond my capabilities, for I have screwed it up TWICE now. If I get it wrong three years in a row, I will quit. I will! (Silas even said that he wanted a piece "from the short side.")
Celebrating the gift of the Holy Spirit by sharing food and time and laugher with old and new friends brought smiles around the table and surely a couple of divine winks from above! Thank you, friends, for celebrating with us and making memories with our children that hopefully they will carry with them into their own families someday... someday... a long time from now! A. Long. Time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment